The Westfield Youth Soccer Association was founded in 1982. At the time, Westfield was considered “the country” to most of the Indianapolis area, and the club’s first site was located on the Westfield-Washington school grounds north of Westfield’s “old” high school and west of the “old” elementary school. Games were played there and on additional fields provided by the Hortonville Friends Church and Christ United Methodist Church.
Fortunately, the Habig family provided about 40 acres of pasture and farmland between 151st and 161st Street and Carey Road so the club could come together and be at one site for practices and games. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers used the Habig fields as a training site one summer and leveled the playing fields and created the "field on the hill".
In the beginning, WYSA was purely a recreational league, and the Habig fields remain the practice and game site for WYSA’s recreational soccer program. The club grew steadily, adding a competitive travel league in 1984.
WYSA hosted its first Habig Classic tournament in 1988, drawing players from around the state. In 1991, WYSA developed its Shamrock Springs fields on Westfield-Washington Schools property at 161st Street, between Spring Mill and Ditch Roads and moved its travel teams to this site. This site has been used for Olympic Development Program training and for hosting State and Challenge Cup tournament play.
Today, more than 1900 players participate in WYSA soccer teams. WYSA provides programs for ages 4 to 74 with its recreational program for all ages, academy program for developing 7- and 8-year-old players, a travel program for competitive players ages 8 and up, and an adult program for those who wish to continue playing after their competitive days are over. Each summer, WYSA hosts soccer camps designed to improve player skills and let the kids have fun.